24th Apr 2014
The workplace safety watchdog is investigating the death of a man at a worksite near Mount Gambier in South Australia’s south east on Wednesday.
The 43-year-old is believed to have been electrocuted when a metal section he was lifting onto a shed came into contact with overhead power lines at Yahl.
Craig Rutjens from SafeWork SA says the circumstances surrounding the man’s death are still being checked.
“It’s far too early in the investigation to make any conclusive assessments as to compliance or non-compliance of the legislation,” he said.
“The investigation will assess and determine whether the company itself satisfied its duty of care to the workers but based on the evidence we’ll make decisions on whether any further actions taken.
“This is yet another example of the importance of being aware of the process and the work that’s being performed and performing risk assessments on the activity.”
It was the fourth death at a South Australian workplace this year.